Monday, July 6, 2009

Happy Belated Birthday America!


It’s a little late, but Happy Fourth Of July! When I was younger I used to enjoy watching the 4th Of July programs on TV. There’s the Capitol Fourth on KCET, Boston Pops on CBS, Macy’s Fireworks show on NBC, and the Ford’s Theater program on ABC. Well the Ford’s one has been permanently canceled and the other programs have been shortened and are much less entertaining. I don’t know, maybe I’m just getting older, but there have to be better acts than the Sesame Street characters, a lip syncing Barry Manilow, and poorly edited shots of fireworks. The highlight was the cast of Jersey Boys performing on the Capitol Fourth, but that was about it. I also just find having a European host a US Independence Day program or having a British singer perform is a little odd. The Boston Pops was hosted by Craig Ferguson, his third year doing so. He did become a US citizen last year, but two years ago when he began hosting, he wasn’t. Natasha Bedingfield performed at A Capitol Fourth, it was strange, but what was stranger was her duet with one of the Sesame Street puppets. She has a nice voice, the puppet didn’t, and unfortunately the puppet seemed to be trying to sing louder than Bedingfield, making the performance obnoxious. My advice, skip these programs and go to a local event or just watch a movie to celebrate, that’s what I ended up doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment