According to an article on examiner.com, social media might actual be good for your health, or more accurately your social life. The article states that experts say the social benefits of Internet use will far outweigh the negatives over the next ten years. Online tools, such as e-mail and other social media outlets, provide "low friction" opportunities to interact.
"The Internet lowers traditional communications constraints of cost, geography, and time; and it supports the type of open information sharing that brings people together," the article written by Clifford Bryan states.
These findings were a result of a survey conducted by the Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project and Elon University's Imagining the Internet Center. After surveying 895 technology stakeholders and critics, it was found that 85 percent of respondents agree with the following statement:
"In 2020, when I look at the big picture and consider my personal friendships, marriage and other relationships, I see that the Internet has mostly been a positive force on my social world. And this will only grow more true in the future."
14 percent of respondents agreed with this statement:
"In 2020, when I look at the big picture and consider my personal friendships, marriage and other relationships, I see that the Internet has mostly been a negative force on my social world. And this will only grow more true in the future."
I guess these findings make sense. I have certainly been able to keep great social ties with the use of the Internet, but the Internet has been there since I was a kid, so I really don't know what it what like before we had it. I would say that social media has done wonders to keep in contact with friends, family, and colleagues and that will only increase over the next decade. Whether this "frictionless" social interaction improves our health, well we will have to wait about that one.
Read the entire article here http://bit.ly/aagUue
That's really interesting, Justin! I wonder what the rise in carpel tunnel is like since the internet hit it big, though...
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comment Sam! So true about the carpel tunnel, hahaha.
ReplyDelete